We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Trifrain

This is a form created by Lisa LaGrange on Allpoetry.com

It is Stanzic, consisting of any number of quatrains.
It is isosyllabic, eight syllables per line.
It is metered, generally iambic tetameter, but not limited thereto.
It has a repetition (Refrain) requirement
Except for the refrain, which is the first 4 syllable of line one, repeated twice as line 4, it requires mono-rhyme.

Rhyme pattern: aaaR 

Note: Added 2/23/2014:
The Trifrain is a new form that I added to this blog in January 2014, which is so very like a Monotetra (created in 2003), that I have been contacted with the following message: I think you should be careful when giving credit to a poet for creating a poetic form. You documented that Lisa LaGrange created a new form called a "Trifrain". She now insists that it's her form when in actuality it's nothing more than a modified Monotetra created years ago by: Michael Walker.
I agree with the statement that is it nothing more than a modified Monotetra, but it is just that – modified.  It adds the REQUIREMENT of a REFRAIN (While dropping the requirement of MONO-RHYME.)

Lisa could well have simply credited her writing as  such a modification, without giving it a name.  But now we have a label we can refer to if we wish to write this style. 

My dilemma, is that I cannot unilaterally decide that the new requirements are insufficient to allow a new name.  Many sonnet forms were invented with merely a change of rhyme pattern, etc…

But I definitely can and will give credit to the inspiring poet upon whose shoulders one is standing.

Example poem:

Nap Time     (Trifrain)

I need a nap to clear my head 
that happens when I go to bed 
to sleep instead, well just instead. 
I need a nap. I need a nap. 

My tasks await, I can't delay 
my puppy sez it's time to play 
my wife wants barking far a way. 
My tasks await. My tasks await. 

I'll get things done I'll catch up soon 
I'll still have all this afternoon 
but with my muse I must commune. 
I'll get things done. I'll get things done. 

My head is clear. I took a nap 
with puppy cuddled in my lap 
I'm better now, My nap's a wrap. 
My head is clear. My head is clear. 

© Lawrencealot - January 30, 2014

Visual Template:
This template shows iambic tetrameter.



No comments:

Post a Comment