We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Black Narcissus Tercet Rima

This form was invent by Barry Hopkins, aka Black Narcissus on Allpoetry.

As it turns out this is NOT a new form, indicated be the comment below: but the poet thought it was, and I am not knowledgeable enough to recognize historic precedents all of the time.  I'm leaving it, as it is a friendly form that has already gained some traction on Allpoetry, but a reading of the link below will give some proper attribution to previous users.
_____
Quote from Mary Boren:
"I agree that it's a very pleasing metrical pattern, Larry, but I wouldn't call it a newly invented form.  It has been used extensively in traditional verse of  the past and is especially popular in Australian Bush Verse.  I can't point to any specific examples from famous poets, but 
was written in 2001."

________

It consist of tercet stanzas.
It is syllabic 8/8/11
Rhyme Pattern: aab ccb dde ffe...
Meter: Anapest,
Sort lines:  Amphibrach,Trochee for the short lines.
                   da da DUM da DUM da DUM da (hence feminine rhyme)
Long Line   Anapest, Amphibrach,Trochee,Amphimacer for the long line
                   da da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM

Example

Cricket. ( By Jiminy! ) - Black Narcissus

It's the willow on the leather
and the doubts about the weather
that make cricket, lovely cricket, great for me.
There's a batsman and a bowler
and a light or heavy roller
that make cricket more like outdoor poetry.
There's a googly and a flipper,
there's the team and there's the skipper,
there is D.R.S and snicko for an edge.
There's a twelfth man and a third man,
there was body line and Bradman
and the Aussies who are often known to sledge.
There's a bouncer and a beamer
and the wily English seamer
who can move the ball in ways I can't describe.
There are pace men there are spinners,
there are losers there are winners
and some cheaters who've been known to take a bribe.
We've created twenty/twenty
where the runs are scored a'plenty
and one fifty is about an average score.
Yet I much prefer test cricket
on a fifth day turning wicket;
after five days though it might just be a draw.



Visual Template


1 comment:

  1. I followed the link to the similar form and couldn't find it. I have also read Twice Blessed which is different. I've searched for Australian Bush verse and can't find any. I will keep searching as I would hate to have used a previously recognised form :)

    ReplyDelete