We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Raconteur

This is a new form invented by Elizabeth Reed, aka Silverechoes on Allpoetry.

The form is made up of thirteen lines - two six-line stanzas and one final line. The two stanzas tell the majority of the story, and the first line of the second stanza should serve as the inspiration for the title (though not required). The last line will be a restatement or rephrasing of the first line of the second stanza. Rhyme scheme and corresponding syllable counts are as follows:

a (8 syllables)
b (9 syllables)
C (10 syllables)
a (8)
b (9)
C (10) (uses same word as line 3 for end-line rhyme)

D (8)
e (9)
F (10)
d (8)
e (9)
F (10) (same end word as line 9)

D (8 OR 10 syllables) (same end word as line 7)

Example Poem


We Missed the Dance










"Does my old cowboy hat look fine?"
you asked me just as we were leaving.
I turned and looked, and ran into the door.
"Well dear, I d say you look divine,"
"What hat?"-  My eyes were they deceiving?
There were those pokey things that I adore.

"If we perchance can miss the dance
and settle later just for dining
I think I'd rather stay at home instead
exploring signs of our romance
which we can do while we're reclining."
With that she led me to our bed instead..

And so we once again have missed the dance.

© Lawrencealot - September 10, 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment