We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Monotetra

The monotetra is a new poetic form developed by Michael Walker. Each stanza contains four lines in monorhyme. Each line is in tetrameter (four metrical feet) for a total of eight syllables. What makes the monotetra so powerful as a poetic form, is that the last line contains two metrical feet, repeated. It can have as few as one or two stanzas, or as many as desired.

Stanza Structure:

Line 1: 8 syllables; A1
Line 2: 8 syllables; A2
Line 3: 8 syllables; A3
Line 4: 4 syllables, repeated; A4, A4 

Example Poem

Collaboration     ( Monotetra)

My gramp brought me a valentine.
To give to mommy and it's just fine.
I'm four years old and it's all mine.
A valentine. A valentine.

It's got a heart and teddy bear
To show my mom how much I care.
A tiny voice came from nowhere,
"I've got no flair." "I've got no flair."

Somehow that card said words to me.
"I'm not as fine as I can be.
I need more personality"
that she can see, that she can see."

"With your help lad, I'll be much more.
I'll be a card that she'll adore."
I'll not be common anymore!
Accept this chore.  Accept this chore."

With a crayon I wrote just "my"
after "Mom".   She is my own, that's why.
I signed Tommy then heard card sigh.
I don't know why, I don't know why.

The card she's kept for all this time.
A priceless card that cost a dime.
Mom says I made the value climb
with my first rhyme, with my first rhyme.

© Lawrencealot - February 9, 2013

Visual Template


No comments:

Post a Comment